Saturday, April 14, 2012

I am in Paris

It was a long week. But I had a Friday night red-eye to Paris. I was so happy, though the flight was delayed and I couldn't keep my eyes open at 10, much less 11 or 12, and when I landed and my phone is not working. I had the usual bumps and miscommunications upon arrival. It is cold. And, after seven hours of wandering and picture-taking, I realize, I do not have the software installed to upload photos from my new camera. Hrmph.

On the positive side, what started as an annoying day filled with those out-of-body experiences and visiting abroad impasses turned into 100% happiness. The sky and tree blossoms were brilliant. I had a Nutella crepe. I met Michael on the Pont des Arts and we walked until we got to La Belle Hortense, where we caught up over wine until it was time to meet Mel at the Gilbert & George opening at Ropac. We passed Suzy Menkes in the street and then bumped into friends. The vernissage was jammed and fun. Then Mel and I went to Cafe Charlot, where the prices have skyrocketed and the food and service remain the same level of irresistibly mediocre, and it was all perfect.

I rode the Metro home. It was calm, quiet, magical in the streets. In short, it's a bit like being home.

5 comments:

  1. Glad you're enjoying your time, tech issues notwithstanding. ;) (P.S. The software shouldn't matter as long as you can get the memory card into someone's computer)
    It was so nice to finally meet you! Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just read your book (scratch that, I've read it twice in less than a week), and I'm in love with it! I'm a fellow lover of sweets, NYC, Paris, and fashion!

    In your book you mention you have Pichet Ong's recipe for a carrot salted-caramel cupcake, and oh my, do these sound divine! Please, oh, please: share the recipe! Thank you in advance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've just made me homesick. Enjoy your stay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Real life. Only in Paris. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete