Thursday, June 20, 2013

The New Guard: Will She Love Paris?

The hits keep coming, mes amis! The more I get to know the “new guard” of Paris expat bloggers, the more smitten I am. Take Grace-Alyssa of Will She LoveParis?

“The heart wants what the heart wants.” With this quote, I knew Grace was a kindred spirit. Especially since she was talking about her desire to move to Paris. Some of us are just afflicted. It happens secretly, or it happens wildly and passionately, but it happens. And while Grace expounds on appreciating the simple things in life, the Aussie's moving words and photos are filled with deepness and complexity that are inspired by the great City of Light. Meet the lovely Grace!

Hometown:
Sydney, Australia

Current quartier:
Latin Quarter

How long have you been in Paris?
11 months

What brought you there?
My thirst for travel and my hidden lifelong dream of living in Paris. The heart wants what the heart wants and wouldn't settle for anything other than Paris, despite never having stepped foot in France previously, hence the blog is named "Will She Love Paris?"

Your favorite thing about living in Paris:
The simple way of life. Here's a little insight into my typical morning routine: I get up, open the curtains and see what the weather is like (although this had been followed by disapproving groans 70% of the time lately), turn on the kettle then skip out to pick up my daily pain au chocolat from my favorite boulangerie, run back home and have my cup of tea and bliss. On market days, I also pick up cartons of berries and a bunch of pretty flowers. I could go on and on about the simplest of details like this and be so happy. Paris taught me to live and enjoy the simpler things in life. 

The coolest thing about being an expat:
Learning how to live it like the locals do; discovering much more of the city than what tourists would and then add to that a dose of French language, oof! Everyday is an adventure, I tell you.

Your “secret” about Paris:
Contrary to the usual cliché, Paris is not at all a place exclusively suitable for lovers and honeymooners. In fact, this is the city where you'd be sure to find people who possess your way of thinking who may not exist back home. I'd been able to meet and be inspired by the brightest bunch of new friends who also pursued Paris from other corners of the world. Together we roam about town, share our endeavors as well as indulge in lots of über sweet stuff. The experience I gained just by being here taught me so much about myself, life and about people. 

Your favorite thing to blog about:
I blog about Paris, dreams and travel. Although I can't pick a favorite, I am deeply passionate about encouraging people to follow their dreams and doing whatever it takes to get there. 

Right Bank or Left Bank:
To live, Left Bank. 
To eat, stroll and shop, Right Bank. 

Tuileries or Luxembourg:
Both. I really do alter between the two during my strolls. 

Ladurée or Pierre Hermé:
Pierre Hermé for macarons and Ladurée for french toast breakfast.

WH Smith or Gaglinani:
Gaglinani

Steak Frites or Salade Chevre Chaud:
Steak Frites

Costes or Crillon:
Costes. Unfortunately, the Crillon is currently closed for renovations, I've not the chance to visit yet.

Colette or Merci:
Merci anytime!

Croissant or tartine:
Pain au Chocolat :-)

Rykel or Roitfeld:
Roitfeld

Café terrace or Seine picnic:
Seine picnic. There's nothing like it.

7 comments:

  1. Yay :) Such great answers Grace!

    And Amy, I also loved the quote: "The heart wants what the heart wants". You said it so perfectly.

    xx Carin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Amy,
    Let me thank you for this feature one more time, it is such an honour.
    I thoroughly enjoyed reading your book and I look forward to seeing a second on the shelves.
    xxxx, Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace, Your pictures are breathtaking and your writing is very inspiring. I love reading your blog. Thank you so much for sharing your secret about Paris and experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superb answers, darling girl. The heart wants what the heart wants indeed!! :)

    xx Milsters

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's fascinating to read the answers from all of these girls. Reading these interviews has made me realize again how very different we all are, and it still amazes me that we found each other and get along so well.

    Fantastic interview, doll. I love your writing -- it perfectly reflects the dreaminess I always associate with you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy I am loving this series so much! I can SO relate to all these ladies and their love of Paris. I'm giddy to think that I'll be there this time next week for a month :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Permit me to thanks for this selection one more time, it's this type of complete. My spouse and i carefully loved studying your own book and i also anticipate visiting a next store.

    World of Warcraft Gold
    Gold On Runescape

    ReplyDelete