Monday, August 12, 2013

My Vegan Monday

It wasn't actually a Vegan Monday. But I did Vegan Sunday as an even exchange. And I'm doing VB6 all week. What do you think? Does it all even out? If I skip the pint of Ben & Jerry's on a Sunday so I can go to Gramercy Tavern for dinner on Monday, am I still being ecologically conscious? If I soften my guilt a little further by eating vegan every morning and afternoon this week, but allow myself cheese and fish or even duck or rabbit for dinner, am I still doing my part to contribute to a more sustainable food system? What are the fair and realistic parameters of eating a largely plant-based diet?

5 comments:

  1. When I met my husband , 100 years ago, he was a total vegetarian and had been for some time. I, the heathen who ate meat, was interested but not much. But as time went on, I gradually, with no prompting from him, started to eat the way he did .. I quit eating red meat 40 years ago .. there are days that we have no chicken or fish and I don't think anything of it anymore .. it is all good.
    I never ever feel guilty about what I eat .. there is enough angst in life without giving yourself new stuff like I feel bad because I ate cheese .. The more people there are in the world, regardless of what they eat, there will be less to eat .. this is not what I am even considering. I am just (selfishly) thinking of my own health and wellbeing . My son has not eaten any meat at all in 20 years.. since he saw a movie in school about the meat industry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, that's what happened with my husband! I was a vegan when we met, then a vegetarian, and now a mostly vegan pescetarian, and he gradually stopped eating meat without any prompting or nagging from me:)

      Delete
  2. Hey,

    As I love sweets I love your blog,
    I am taking part to a sweets contest, which is organizing by Taste of France. So many bakeries will assist to that show on Bryant Park the last weekend of September.
    So either vote or be in the competition with me: http://bit.ly/13NFtTf !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the scoop, Mirelle - sounds fun to me!

    Duchesse and Candice, as always, thank you for your gastro-empathy!

    ReplyDelete